Thursday, January 24, 2013

On The Cheap

The recent changes we just made to our kitchen from blue to earth tones of  browns and greens meant some of our old wall pictures no longer worked. A lot had to go, but we had some photos taken by our daughter when she was a teenager that we wanted to keep but the antique rose mats wasn't doing it for me. Before buying new mats for the frames I decided to give painting them a try. I was amazed at how well they turned out.
Using a sponge and some acrylic paint I had left over 
from the "tole painting" phase in my life 
I went at them.


Starting at the inside edge, 
I just kept dabbing the paint on. 
I don't think using a brush would have worked as well.


I used Autumn Brown paint because I love the color, 
and even though it was a lighter shade than the frames, 
when assembled, the mats just blended into the frames.


...see
~back to the drawing board~


I wasn't sure if It would be possible to add more coats of paint, 
but after three coats of Antique White
...ta ta...
new mats for my frames.


I'm happy with the results!
 
 
ll

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marisa, Great to see you posting.

    Your new mats look terrific! I had no idea they could be painted over but I'll remember that when I need to make a change in the future. Great tip!

    Happy new year, xo jj

    ReplyDelete