Saturday, April 16, 2011

99 YEARS AGO



Ninety nine years ago the impossible happened...the greatest passenger liner built at that time, the Titanic   sank on its maiden voyage. Heralded as being unsinkable, the Titanic met its doom when it crashed into an iceberg and went down resulting in a great loss of life.

Many tributes and activities are already being planned to the mark the upcoming 100th  anniversary in 2012 that I am sure will draw large crowds to Halifax next year.

If you are a regular listener to CBC's Weekend Morning show with Stan Carew, you have probably heard Les Barker's "Have you got any news of the ice berg" before as it is one of the most requested recordings. It looks at the sinking of the Titanic from a different perspective and I always enjoy it every time I hear it.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you said something about it, it was like no one remembered it or even thought about it. No one said anything about the 12th being the day 150 yrs ago that the civil started, I guess I am a history dork, people don't pay attention to things like that anymore, I am glad you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen a couple of remembrances of this anniversary today. It is still a very compelling story. I'm sure we will hear much more about it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have always been interested in this amazing piece of history.
    thank you for sharing this video.
    xo

    ReplyDelete