Friday, May 1, 2009

CRUSTLESS QUICHE


Last night I decided to use up some left over bacon to whip up a Quiche for supper. To save time I omitted the crust which didn't diminish the finished product at all, besides, who needs the extra fat and calories.

CRUSTLESS QUICHE
1 nine inch pie plate -grease with olive oil or spray with cooking spray
4 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 c. finely chopped onion (I love onion so I used more)
(I threw in a handful of chopped mushrooms and red peppers as well)
1 1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese
1 c. frozen spinach (thawed with as much moisture pressed out as possible)
2 Tbl. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
4 eggs
1 1/4 c. canned milk(I always use Carnation)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and drain and discard all but 1 Tbl. bacon drippings. Add onions (and chopped vegetables if you want)to pan and cook until soft. In a large bowl,mix bacon,onion/veggies , flour, salt, pepper, spinach and cheese. Spread this mixture evenly in bottom of pie plate. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk and pour over the cheese mixture. Bake for 25 min. or until filling is slightly puffed and a knife comes out clean. Let stand 5 min.
This made a great meal served with a side salad.

With the left over spinach and canned milk, I think I will try a garlic,mushroom and spinach pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment