Wednesday, April 15, 2009

CORKSCREW WITCH HAZEL- A REBIRTH


CORKSCREW WITCH HAZEL- A REBIRTH
A few years ago I planted a Corkscrew Witch Hazel in my front flower garden in an attempt to had extra winter interest during the long, cold winter months. While quite unassuming during the summer months, they really come into their own in the fall after dropping their leaves to reveal an interesting display of twisted and curled trunk and branches. Considered a hardy tree, I expected mine to grow and flourish, providing years of enjoyment. Alas, this was not to be. Last spring, only half my tree leafed out, withered and fell. I knew in my heart of hearts that my little tree had perished due to root rot. Not willing to say goodbye, I left my barren little tree planted with the small hope that it would miraculously come back to life the following spring. However, after a long winter of more than the usual amount of snow, my last glimmer of hope was dashed. When the long awaited spring melt finally arrived, it revealed my little tree, it’s trunk snapped at its base. Sadly I carried it into my basement, allowed it to dry, then mounted it onto a block of wood and potted it. It has now become my Daycare’s new Holiday/Seasonal tree that the little ones can decorate with crafts they create. My little tree that had given me so much pleasure while growing in my garden, has earned it’s right to a second chance, and I fully expect it to be fruitful. A little birdie has told me to expect our little tree to bear little green frogs any day now.

No comments:

Post a Comment