Sunday, January 24, 2010

TOASTED OATMEAL BREAD




Whenever I find a good recipe for bread like this one, thanks to my daughter Grace, it quickly becomes a "regular" in our household. I've made this one twice already this week. It's so good it doesn't last long. Simply delicious when eaten while still warm, it is also great thickly sliced and toasted with your favorite spread.

Toasted Oatmeal Bread

This recipe is for a bread machine and makes a 2-pound loaf, but there is no reason that it couldn't be made by hand using traditional bread making methods.

1/3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
*3/4 cup milk
*1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 1/3 cups white flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast or bread machine yeast

* The directions do not say to warm the milk and water but, I mixed them together, added the butter and warmed it slightly (the traditional bread making method) in the microwave before putting it in the bread machine pan. I guess it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Spread the oats in a shallow baking pan.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until light brown, stirring occasionally; cool.
Add the ingredients to a bread machine according to the manufacturer's directions, adding the oats with the flour. If available, select the whole grain cycle, or select the basic white bread cycle. Remove hot bread from machine as soon as it is done. Cool on a wire rack.

***The bread pictured above was baked in the oven. I prefer the look and shape of my loaves when I form them myself for a regular bread pan and bake them in the oven so whenever the oven is being used to cook something else, I bake the bread along with it, otherwise I let it bake in the machine.

Check out another of our favorite bread recipes...Rosemary Bread

2 comments: