Wednesday, October 28, 2009

THE URGE TO SERGE...FOR WISHCASTING WEDNESDAY

I used to do a lot of sewing when my girls were little, making them cute little matching dresses and overalls, until they got to the stage that they didn't think it so cute. While not a great seamstress by a long stretch, I was proficient enough to turn out a passable garment...if you didn't look too closely at the seams.




I gave my 25 year old "Brother" machine to my eldest daughter when she left home and purchased a new 'Singer" model for myself. While I could thread the old one with my eyes shut, it took a very long time for me to get accustomed to operating its replacement and I still miss my old one. It was just a basic machine with straight stitch and zig zag, but it was metal and heavy enough that you almost needed to be a weight lifter to carry it, unlike the light plastic models of today.

Over the years, my sewing has really petered off due to lack of time and interest, but lately I've been digging it out more and more to sew or make over Frenchy finds into Belly dance costumes, skirts and veils, and I find my mind drifting to the possibility buying a serger. How much easier it would be to finish the edges of flimsy silk or chiffon fabrics required for belly dance or shears for curtains? I have never used one but it can't be too hard to learn...right.



So, to answer Jamie's question for Wishcasting Wednesday:
What treat do you wish for!
I am going to put a serger on my wish list. With Christmas coming soon, perhaps it will come true.

For more wish casting, pop over to Jamie Ridlers Studios.


10 comments:

  1. As Marisa wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    My husband has been teaching me to sew (yes, my husband!), and he is drooling over sergers in the stores! Unfortunately it isn't very high on our list right now, but someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many times have I denied myself the proper equipment??? Even as little as a decent pair of scissors!
    As Marisa wishes for herself, so do I also wish for her with all my heart!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel a 'serg' of creative energy about to burble up and take hold!

    I'm sorry I haven't been around much...and commented even less. I hope you are well. I love visiting with you.

    As Marisa wishes for herself, so I lovingly and with intention wish for her also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Marisa wishes, I wish for you also!

    Great wish, I bet having one of those machines will get your creative juices flowing again. People who sew amaze me, maybe one day I will get over my fear and learn. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Serger.. what a great wish! As Marisa wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a great sewing machine. I hope your wish comes true.

    My sewing machine is so old it only sews forwards and backwards, not even zigzag, but I love it and it from time to time to make quilts or mend things. I keep saying one of these days I'll get a new one.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sergers are a real delight to use, but for sure get one at a place that gives free lessons. The threading can be tricky. I have one I never use anymore. Maybe next year I also will have the urge to serge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love Creative Wishes, As Marisa wishes, I wish for her also!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As Marisa wishes for herself, so I wish for her also. What a great creative wish, would you post some pics of the final products?
    Your girls look adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As Marisa wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    It's very strange indeed to see pictures of your young self posted on the Internet for all to see!

    ReplyDelete