Tuesday, May 12, 2009

YUMMY SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH CHEESE-CORN BREAD


For Mother's Day I cooked a ham which was delicious along with potato salad and toss salad. So today I made a large pot of Split Pea Soup using the drippings I saved from cooking my ham...it's still not too warm for a nice bowl of hot soup and hot Cheese Corn Bread.

SPLIT PEA SOUP
Ham stock (I saved my juices and drippings from the ham I cooked a few days ago, added about 2 cups chopped left over ham, 6 or more cups of water and brought it to a boil, them reduced it to simmer)

or

You could buy a ham bone and simmer it in water for an hour, allow it to cool and then clean the meat off the bones, or buy a ham slice, cut it up, add water and simmer for 1/2 hour to make stock.

To your stock add:
2 c. yellow split peas (that have been rinsed)

Simmer for about 45 min., stirring occasionally. The peas thicken the soup as they cook and you don't want then sticking to the bottom of the pot. You may need to add some extra water.

Add:
1 large onion finely chopped (or more)
3 large carrots chopped
4-5 medium sized potatoes pealed and chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally for another 45 min. If you find the soup getting too thick for your taste, just add more water. Serve it hot with homemade bread, biscuits or Cheese Corn Bread.

Note: When this soup cools, it gets really thick so you may need to add a little water when you reheat it. I personally like it thick.


CHEESE-CORN BREAD
2 c. white all-purpose flour***I reduced the flour by 2T. and added 2T. ground hemp seed, hence the little black specks you see in the picture...it's ground hemp seed, not fly shit!
1/4 c. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 c. milk
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 can (7oz.) whole kernel corn, drained (I used a 12 oz. can and it turned out well..just cornier!)
1/4 c. salad oil
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a square 8x8 inch pan. Measure all ingredients in order listed into a bowl; stir just until flour is moistened. Batter should be lumpy. Spread evenly in pan and bake 45 min. or until golden brown.

This was the first time I made this recipe and it will be one I will make again. It was easy to prepare, and good enough to have as a meal in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment